Public Safety Telecommunicator Trainee
$1500 Hiring Bonus - $750 paid when hired and $750 paid when initial Call Taker Training is completed.
The St. Petersburg Police Department's Emergency Communications Division receives and dispatches both emergency and non-emergency calls for service. The Emergency Communications Division operates 24 hours a day and applicants must be able to work rotating shifts including holidays and weekends, are subject to callback, and may be required to work overtime.
Interested applicants can apply at www.stpete.org/jobs
Job duties include:
• Assists in answering incoming telephone calls of an emergency and/or non-emergency nature received on the 911 emergency telephone number or other incoming telephone lines requesting police services.
• Is trained to rapidly and accurately assimilate information in real-time and forwards for dispatching to officers, often during in-progress emergencies in which information is received and forwarded as events unfold.
• Is trained to transfer information from other jurisdictions to the appropriate receiving agency or refers calls of an administrative nature, within City jurisdiction, to the appropriate telephone number.
• Assists in answering routine questions and refers other non-emergency calls to proper officials or agencies.
• Is trained to receive, read and record complaint information to include the exact name, address or location requiring service; relays descriptions and other information to police field units concerning, but not limited to, wanted persons, missing or lost persons, stolen vehicles and for the arrest of specified individuals.
• Is trained to transmit messages and departmental information by radio or computer, dispatching the proper number of available police units closest to the location of the call, and assists mobile police and fire units in communicating with each other; coordinates the movement of police personnel when establishing crime scene perimeters.
• Is trained to monitor radio transmissions; records and maintains documentation of assigned units as to time, location, availability and type of equipment, units dispatched and their time of arrival.
• Is trained to input and query information in local, state and national crime information databases requiring complete accuracy and precise, professional interaction with other law enforcement agencies.
• Performs related work as assigned.
For this position, a selected candidate will be required to undergo a criminal background check, and a credit history check. Applicants must fully disclose criminal history. Please refer to the St. Petersburg Police Department website for details: https://police.stpete.org/employment-telecommunicator/documents/applica…
Individuals hired by the City as Public Safety Telecommunicator Trainees, as a condition of continued employment, must complete the 911 Public Safety Telecommunicator Program and pass the Florida Certification Exam within eleven and one-half (11-1/2) months of appointment to the position; and must also successfully complete call taker, teletype, and dispatch training within twenty-four (24) months of appointment to the position. This position handles incoming emergency and non-emergency calls on an ACD system using a computer aided dispatch system. Work includes receipt and transmission of radio messages; and dispatching police units to emergency or non-emergency situations throughout the City and surrounding areas. This position requires a three (3) year commitment.
• Possess a valid high school diploma or GED equivalency.
• Have good oral and written communication skills.
• Be familiar with computers using a Microsoft Windows operating system.
• Have excellent customer service skills (at least six months experience).
• Have accurate typing skills.
• Be able to effectively multi-task.
• Acknowledge this position is designated as Emergency Critical and if hired into this position you must be immediately available to the department before, during, and after a declared emergency and/or disaster.
1301 1st Avenue North
St. Petersburg, FL 33705