Police Officer Trainee
MARCH 2022 ACADEMY HIRING PROCESS – Are YOU looking for a way to serve and protect the community? With many different job duties to perform, Chesapeake Police Officers are presented a world of opportunities and a unique way to grow personally and professionally in service to others. You will receive PAID, world-class training at our Chesapeake Law Enforcement Training Academy with access to a variety of resources that will equip you to do your job to the best of your abilities. While there are many benefits to being a police officer, the paramount among them is the chance to actually enjoy your career and serve, “The City that Cares”!
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF CLASS: The purpose of the class is to protect life and property, enforce laws, and investigate crime. The class is responsible for surveillance, law enforcement, investigations, apprehension, and reporting. The class works according to set procedures under direct supervision. This job classification provides service to the community on a 24-hour basis during all hours of the day and night. In order to accommodate this 24 hour service, this job class is required to work on rotating schedules, which includes working weekends, holidays, and in excess of one’s regularly scheduled hours (overtime) when required by operational necessity.
· Conducts routine patrols in residential and business areas; maintains contact with businesses and residents to establish good relations.
· Responds to calls for police service and responds to crimes, domestic disputes, disturbances, disputes among neighbors, juveniles, or other incidents; apprehends law breakers as necessary; conducts follow-up investigations of crimes and other incidents, conducts surveillance of areas for suspected or potential criminal activity.
· Provides information and/or assistance to the public, informing citizens of services in the community, or providing referrals to other city, county, or state agencies.
· Maintains the peace and safety of the community by quelling public disturbances and maintaining order at group functions.
· Provides for the safe and convenient flow of traffic and pedestrians within the community, investigates traffic accidents, enforces traffic violations, promotes vehicular and pedestrian safety, reports unsafe road conditions, and conducts DUI or other investigations.
· Issues civil or legal documents such as traffic citations; prepares written reports, forms, and other documents as required; may testifies in civil and criminal court proceedings or give depositions.
· Attends training meetings, in-service training, and technical or professional classes, seminars, or conferences to improve technical or professional skills.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
VOCATIONAL/EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENT: Requires high school diploma or GED.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES: Requires a valid driver’s license and driving record in compliance with City Driving Standards. Special skills or equipment certification will be required.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: This job classification provides service to the community on a 24-hour basis. In order to accommodate the 24-hour service, this job classification is required to work rotating schedules, which include working weekends and holidays, and may involve work in excess of regularly scheduled hours when required by operational necessity.
· Must be a United States Citizen.
· Must be at least 21 years of age upon graduation from the academy (may apply at 20+ years of age).
AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFYING FACTORS: Disqualification factors from the date of the application include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Convicted of, plead guilty to, or no contest to any felony.
· Convicted of, plead guilty to, or no contest to a misdemeanor involving acts of moral turpitude (lying, cheating, and stealing).
· Convicted of, plead guilty to, or no contest to a misdemeanor sex offense.
· Convicted of, plead guilty to, or no contest to domestic assault.
· Conviction of possession, manufacture, and/or distribution of illegal drugs, excluding possession of marijuana or any cannabis derivative. · Use of Cocaine, LSD, PCP, or any type of hallucinogenic drug in the last five years, unless the candidate (i) has successfully completed a supervised drug rehabilitation program, or (ii) is participating in a supervised drug rehabilitation program and is no longer engaging in the illegal use of drugs. Proof of successful completion of or active participation in a supervised drug rehabilitation program must be furnished to the Police Department.
· Dishonorable discharge, Bad conduct/Misconduct discharge, and Other than Honorable discharges from military service. General and Uncharacterized discharges from military service will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
· Untruthfulness or the withholding of pertinent information during any phase of the application process (e.g. application, interview, paperwork).
· Cheating on any examination or testing associated with the process.
· Disqualifying factors according to city driving standards: Suspensions or revocations for other than administrative reasons (i.e. failure to pay fine, insurance, monitoring, failure to pay child support) within the past 24 months. Convictions of driving while intoxicated with, or under the influence of, alcohol or drugs within the past 36 months. · Convictions of reckless driving within the past 36 months. Convictions of speeding 20 miles per hour or more within the past 12 months. Declaration, determination, or adjudication as Habitual Offender until two years after driving privileges have been restored. More than two convictions involving any moving violation within the last 12 months.
1080 Sentry Drive
Chesapeake, VA 23323
THE ONLINE APPLICATION AND PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT (PHS) MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE MOVING ON IN OUR PROCESS! Complete the PHS found at this link- Personal History Statement immediately after applying online. Your PHS should be completed, notarized, and submitted WITHIN 14 CALENDAR DAYS of submitting your online application via one of the two options below:
OPTION 1: CERTIFIED MAIL - Mailing Address: Chesapeake Police Department ATTN: Background Investigations Unit 304 Albemarle Drive Chesapeake, VA 23322
OPTION 2: HAND DELIVERY - Delivery Address: Chesapeake Public Safety Building (CPD HQ) ATTN: Background Investigations Unit 304 Albemarle Drive Chesapeake, VA 23322
The Hand Delivery option is available 24/7 via drop box in the CPD HQ lobby.