Civilian Accreditation Manager
Oversees accreditation processes for the Danville Police Department; collaborates with the Police Department supervisory team to formulate, implement, and communicate policies and procedures; manages the department’s national and state accreditation processes to include ensuring compliance and training and various types of presentations to department personnel, and conducts regular reviews with appropriate staff and revise department policy and procedures manuals and catalogs to ensure standard operating procedures are reliable and up-to-date and meet all current Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) and the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission (VLEPSC), legislative mandates and judicial rulings; other duties include providing direct or indirect service to citizens as assigned.
The essential functions of the job are not limited to those listed in the job description. The City retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
- Manages the department’s national and state accreditation processes to include ensuring compliance and training and various types of presentations to department personnel; and conducts regular reviews with appropriate staff and revise department policy and procedures manuals and catalogs to ensure standard operating procedures are reliable and up-to-date and meet all current Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) and the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission (VLEPSC), legislative mandates and judicial rulings.
- Develops, writes, revises, and manages the department’s catalog of policies and forms to meet accreditation standards; and maintains accreditation files; conducts regular reviews of policies and procedures to meet all current CALEA and VLEPSC standards, legislative mandates and judicial rulings.
- Identifies and verifies compliance with established law enforcement standards, correcting any noted deficiencies through policy, training, or other administrative measures; reviews standards and ensures the department remains in compliance; stays abreast of all aspects of the accreditation process to include proposed changes or amendments to the standards, and assesses the impact of changes on current policies and procedures.
- Serves as the department’s representative to the Virginia Association of the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies Accreditation Professionals and the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc.; and provides various presentations to Danville Police Officers and command staff about accreditation, policy, and other planning issues.
- Conducts trainings pertaining to accreditation standards and law enforcement best practices.
- Conducts mock assessments internally to ensure adherence to accreditation standards.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Job Knowledge
Advanced knowledge of the subject matter. Complete comprehension of the subject area to solve common and unusual problems, able to advise on technical matters, and serve as a resource on the subject for others.
Advanced: Ability to read literature, books, reviews, scientific or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents.
Advanced: Ability to write editorials, journals, speeches, manuals, or critiques.
Advanced: Ability to apply fundamental concepts of theories, work with advanced mathematical operations methods and functions of real and complex variables.
Decisions regarding interpretation of existing policies may be made. Contacts may involve stressful, negative interactions requiring high levels of tact and the ability to respond to aggressive interpersonal interactions. Elements of persuasion may be necessary to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas.
Independence and Decision-Making
Normally performs the duty assignment according to his or her own judgment, requesting supervisory assistance only when necessary. Special projects are managed with little oversight and assignments may be reviewed upon completion. Performance reviewed periodically.
Work requires a comprehensive, practical knowledge of a technical field with use of analytical judgment and decision-making abilities appropriate to the work environment of the organization.
Completes research for documents, compiles data for computer entry, and/or enters or oversees data entry. Has responsibility for monitoring budget/fiscal expenditures (typically non-discretionary expenditures) for a work unit of less than department size (programs, activities, projects or small organizational units) or responsibility for fiscal management of capital project(s). May recommend budget allocations.
May occasionally direct helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns or temporary employees.
Work is sedentary in nature, requiring occasional light physical exertion. Requires adequate vision, hearing and talking to relate information through traditional media, digital media, and social media, to use a computer, telephone and communicating effectively with others.
- Responsible for appropriate use and maintenance of City equipment, tools and other resources, including work time.
- Regular and predictable attendance is expected.
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE
Typically requires use of standard office equipment, including Computers, databases and related query applications, GIS tools and applications, electronic spread sheets, word processing, statistical applications, desktop publications, department Records Management System (RMS) and Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) systems.
Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
The employee is expected to use appropriate protective equipment for the assigned task; and any other equipment as apparent or assigned.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree with broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field; and three to five years of experience.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of the specific requirements listed above.
- Valid Driver’s License with acceptable driving record according to City Criteria
427 Patton St
Danville, VA 24541