Chief of Police - Dubuque, IA
The City of Dubuque Iowa, resident population of 59,700, seeks experienced police leaders as applicants to serve as this community’s next Chief of Police.
Dubuque is a vibrant community of over 31 square miles with beautiful neighborhoods and commercial districts. It is Iowa’s oldest city, located at the junction of Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin a region locally known as the Tri-State Area. Dubuque is home to five institutions of higher learning and is a tourist destination due in part to the city’s exceptional architecture and Mississippi River location. The city is an outstanding community in which to live, work and play.
In addition to the Chief of Police, the Dubuque Police Department is staffed by an authorized 108 sworn Police Officers and 9 civilian employees. This CALEA accredited agency is organized into 5 divisions: Patrol, Specialty Services, Community Oriented Policing, Criminal Investigations and Staff Bureau.
The Police Department’s mission statement is: Enhancing community livability by providing equitable community service and protection through integrity, compassion and competence.
Reporting to the City Manager, the Chief of Police must hold:
• A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• A Master’s degree is desirable.
• Senior professional leadership training desired includes Northwestern University Center for Public Safety’s School of Police Staff and Command, the Police Executive Research Forum’s Senior Management Institute for Police, the International Association of Chiefs of Police Leadership in Police Organizations program or the FBI National Academy, or similar professional leadership/management program completion.
Desirable qualifications include:
• 10 years of supervisory and administrative experience in a public law enforcement agency and supervisory experience in multiple police specialties including major command responsibility.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, certification as a Law Enforcement Officer by the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy or another training facility certified by the Director of the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy within 12 months of appointment is required.
The annual salary for this position is $104,873.60-$137,134.40 depending upon qualifications. Residency within the corporate limits of the City of Dubuque is required as soon as practicable after appointment.
Interested professionals should submit a completed resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references by December 30, 2021, to consultants Joe De Lopez and Lee McCann at: www.GovHRjobs.com Telephone inquiries: GovHR USA (847) 380-3240, Joe De Lopez Ext. 115 & Lee McCann Ext. 119
Electronic submissions required.
THE CITY OF DUBUQUE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Dubuque, IA 52001
Electronic submissions required. Please submit resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references.