Chief of Police - Brown Deer, WI
The Village of Brown Deer (pop. 12,088), located in northern Milwaukee County, is bounded by the Village of River Hills on the east, the City of Mequon on the north and the City of Milwaukee on the south and west. Brown Deer is considered to be one of the municipalities designated as “North Shore” communities. The local highway system that runs through Brown Deer connects other prosperous North Shore suburbs to retail complexes west of Brown Deer and to the northwest suburbs of Milwaukee. The Village is described as “a cozy, friendly community with hometown values while offering the accessibility to the urban-chic Milwaukee atmosphere; a community where everyone knows your name”.
The Village of Brown Deer is seeking experienced police professionals as candidates to lead the Brown Deer Police Department. The Police Department has a complement of 31 sworn officers, consisting of the Chief, 1 Captain, 3 Lieutenants, 5 Sergeants and 22 Officers. There are 3 Civilian positions that support and enhance the services provided by the Department. In 2020, the Police Department responded to approximately 7,200 calls for service, including 504 Part 1 Offenses. The Brown Deer Police Department has a strong commitment of providing quality law enforcement services by focusing on partnerships throughout the community. The Department has an active history in law enforcement accreditation as a member of the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Accreditation Group (WILEAG). All sworn members below the rank of Sergeant are represented by the Wisconsin Professional Police Association (WPPA).
A candidate for the position of Chief of Police:
• Must possess a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or related field.
• Must have at least ten (10) years of service in law enforcement, including five (5) years in a supervisory position, and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job.
• Should have (desirable) executive management training, including the FBI National Academy, FBI-LEEDA Supervisor Leadership Institute, Northwestern University Center for Public Safety or other similar State and/or National programs.
• Must be a proven leader, committed to the growth and development of the Department.
• Must be an exceptional communicator, able to thoughtfully represent the interests of the Department and the Village, with a high level of community engagement.
• Will have a record of success in a leadership position in a similarly diverse community with a comparably sized municipal law enforcement agency.
• Must have a history of success in working in a collective bargaining environment.
• Must be proactive in addressing criminal activity while maintaining and enhancing community engagement.
• Must be a Certified police officer by the Wisconsin Department of Justice Law Enforcement Standards Board, or able to attain certification within six (6) months of hire.
Candidates must possess well developed communication and public presentation skills, utmost integrity, and be committed to the long range success of the Brown Deer Police Department. The Police Chief is appointed by and subject to the authority of the Village of Brown Deer Police Commission as governed by Wisconsin State Statute.
The starting salary range for the position is $120,000 +/- DOQ with an excellent benefit package. Submit resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references by April 19, 2021 to Paul M. Harlow and Jon Fehlman at: www.GovHRjobs.com. Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: (847) 380-3240.
All positions in the Village of Brown Deer will be filled according to the Equal Rights Act with no discrimination shown on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Brown Deer, WI 53223
Submit resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references by April 19, 2021 to Paul M. Harlow and Jon Fehlman at: www.GovHRjobs.com. Electronic submissions are required.