Chief of Police
GovHR USA LLC is pleased to announce that the City of Freeport, Illinois, resident population of approximately 25,000, seeks experienced and assertive police leaders as applicants to serve as this community’s next Chief of Police.
Freeport is located in north central Illinois approximately 30 miles west of the City of Rockford, Illinois. It is the county seat and largest city in Stephensen County. The City is governed by a Council Manager form of government. The Mayor and City Council delegate day to day operations and management to the City Manager. The Chief of Police is appointed by and reports to the City Manager.
Established in 1883, the Freeport Police Department is staffed by 48 sworn police officers, including the Chief of Police, 27 non-sworn employees and a part-time, non-sworn Evidence Officer. Patrol Shifts work 12 hour tours of duty. Specialty assignments within the Freeport Police Department include: Detectives, Canine Officers, Drug Enforcement Officers, School Resource Officer and the Community Policing Unit. Police Headquarters is located at 320 West Exchange Street in Freeport. The PBPA is the officers’ collective bargaining representative.
The City is seeking an innovative and collaborative professional with proven managerial and leadership experience, as well as strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
The ideal professional background and qualifications for the Chief of Police position include:
• Will have a minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible sworn law enforcement experience.
• Will have supervisory and leadership experience in a comparable law enforcement agency at the rank of Lieutenant or higher.
• Will have a reputation as a leader with a high level of honesty and integrity.
• Candidates must be committed to training, professional development and community engagement, as well as embracing the benefits and techniques of community policing.
• Will have labor relations experience.
• Should have a history of intergovernmental cooperation and relationship building.
• Should have experience interacting and collaborating with other law enforcement agencies and mutual aid groups.
• Must be knowledgeable of current best practices and policies in policing and ensure consistency in the application of those policies.
• Is expected to have excellent organizational management skills and a clear understanding of resource and budgetary allocations.
• Will possess well-developed writing and public speaking skills.
Successful candidates will a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a focus on criminal justice, public administration, business administration or related fields. A master’s degree is desirable. Leadership training such as the F.B.I. National Academy, Northwestern University’s School of Police Staff and Command or similar programs is highly preferred. Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board Certified or able to be certified within 6 months of hire.
The Chief must establish residence in the City within a reasonable time of hire.
The annual salary range for this position is $95,000-$115,000 depending on qualifications. The City of Freeport also offers an attractive benefits package. Interested professionals may submit a resume, cover letter and contact information about 5 professional references by September 12, 2019 to consultants Joe De Lopez and Lee McCann at: www.GovHRjobs.com. Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: (847) 380-3240
THE CITY OF FREEPORT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
630 Dundee Road, Suite 130
Northbrook, IL 60062
Interested professionals may submit a resume, cover letter and contact information about 5 professional references by September 12, 2019 to consultants Joe De Lopez and Lee McCann at: www.GovHRjobs.com. Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: (847) 380-3240