Certified Police Officer
EEO Class Code: Service Worker
Union Status: Unclassified
FLSA Code: Exempt
The Town of Pembroke Park
Position Reports To: Police Sergeant
NATURE OF WORK
Under limited supervision, performs general and specialized Police work involving the enforcement of laws and ordinances; protecting life and property; detection and arrest of violators; crime prevention; community services or other specialized assignments; and performs related duties as assigned.
STATE OF EMERGENCY
When normal operations of Town departments are suspended or interrupted due to a declaration by the Mayor that a state of emergency exists, all employees will be deemed critical by the Town. For the preparation and/or continuation of emergency operations or for special work detail, employees deemed necessary shall be required to work. This is a condition of employment.
Tasks required of those in the position of Police Officer include, but are not limited to:
• Patrols assigned area of the Town for the prevention of crime and enforcement of all applicable criminal, traffic and other laws and ordinances.
• Responds to calls for service involving crimes such as robberies, assaults, homicides, narcotics, etc. Responds to general public service calls for civil or societal problems.
• Secures the scene of a crime, makes arrests and books prisoners.
• Prepares reports to accurately document information.
• Enforces laws, codes and statutes. Carries out duties in conformance with federal, state, county and Town laws and ordinances.
• Investigates reports of criminal activity.
• Performs a variety of general and specialized criminal investigations involving property and persons crimes, gathers evidence and preserves crime scene.
• Prepares and presents cases for prosecution and testifies in court.
• Maintains contact with Police supervisory personnel to coordinate investigative activities.
• Provides mutual assistance during emergency situations.
• Assists in the training of officers as assigned.
• Performs all other assigned activities as required in relation to Police operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
The Police Officer should possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Knowledge of the protocols in a law enforcement agency.
• Knowledge of the proper maintenance and upkeep of law enforcement tools.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of the criminal justice system.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of modern Police work and law enforcement methods.
• Knowledge of federal, state and Town laws governing Police operations, custody of prisoners, search and seizure, and the rules of evidence.
• Knowledge of departmental policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of general law enforcement problems.
• Knowledge of patrol, criminal and traffic investigations.
• Skill in the use of handgun and self-defense.
• Skill in the use of crime scene evidence collection.
• Skill in both verbal and written communication.
• Skill in analyzing situations, maintaining composure, and making effective and reasonable decisions.
• Skill in remembering names, faces and details of incidents.
• Skill in performing work requiring physical vigor.
• Skill in remaining in control physically and emotionally during stressful situations.
• Skill in pursuing and controlling suspects.
• Skill in learning the Town's geography.
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent required. Associates Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice or a related field preferred.
• Must be a Certified Police Officer by closing date of application.
• Requires active Florida law enforcement certification, or the ability to re-instate within a reasonable time.
• Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission Certificate of Compliance in Law Enforcement required.
• Valid Florida Driver’s License required, or with the ability to obtain a Florida driver’s license within thirty (30) days of employment.
• Must be able to successfully complete all phases of the pre-employment process, which includes physical agility test, written examination, oral interview, background investigation, polygraph, psychological evaluation, medical exam, and drug testing.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
SPECIAL DRIVING REQUIREMENTS
• Have not lost any driving privileges by reason of revocation, suspension or denial of license, or have been convicted and/or had an adjudication withheld of three or more moving violations.
• Have had one DUI (Driving Under the Influence) in any preceding twenty-four (24) month period. License suspension of two weeks or less or suspensions based only on non-moving violations that have been cleared will not automatically result in revocation of driving privileges.
• Have not had more than one DUI (conviction or adjudication withheld) in Florida or any other state within the past ten (10) years.
• Must be capable of performing the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Have a stable work history free of repeated disciplinary actions, suspensions, terminations, and resignations.
• Free of convictions involving domestic abuse or violence.
• Free of convictions of any felony.
• Free of convictions and violations pertaining to Florida Department of Law Enforcement Good Moral Character guidelines.
• Free of misdemeanor convictions involving perjury or false statements.
• Free of convictions or pleads of nolo contendere to any 1st or 2nd degree misdemeanor within the last three (3) years.
• Have not been dishonorable discharged from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.
• Must present proof of automobile insurance upon offer of employment.
• Have not been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or control substances in the preceding five (5) year period in Florida or any other state.
• Have not had a Driver's license suspended under the point system in the past five (5) years, as provided for in the Florida Statue, Chapter 322.
• Have not been convicted of three (3) moving violations in the preceding 36 months in Florida or any other state.
• Have not used marijuana in the three (3) years prior to employment application submission; all other illegal drug use in the five (5) years prior to employment application submission.
• Have not failed the psychological evaluation or post offer physical, drug and alcohol screening within one (1) year from failure date.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a teammate to successfully perform the essential duties and functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Regularly required to stand, sit, see, speak, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer, telephone, or other electronic device.
• Occasional light to heavy lifting may be required.
• Frequent need to walk, run, lift, and climb.
• Work involves potentially hazardous, controllable, and life-threatening situations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a teammate encounters while performing the essential duties and functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Moderate noise (business office with computers, telephones, printers, fax machines, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and light traffic)
• Ability to work within a confined area
• Ability to work in a computer station for an extended period
• The physical environment requires the employee to work inside and outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions.
• May be requested to work nights and weekends for special Town events, Commission meetings/workshops, emergencies, and other Town-related activities.
• May be potentially exposed to hostile environments.
The Town of Pembroke Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Pembroke Park, FL 33023