Alexandria Police Department Human Resources and Labor Relations Division Chief
The Alexandria Police Department is seeking a highly qualified Human Resources and Labor Relations Division Chief who will be integral to the Department’s personnel management efforts. The Human Resources and Labor Relations Division Chief is responsible for a variety of departmental functions including human resources, budgeting, employee wellness, Peer Support and resiliency programs, and engagement with departmental labor groups. The Division Chief will be responsible for developing labor relations program policies and procedures. This position directs and executes organizational development and diversity strategies that strengthen performance to achieve departmental and city goals.
The Human Resources and Labor Relations Division Chief acts as liaison with various City agencies; administers the grievance process and provides interpretation of grievance-related language and mandates; makes recommendations to the Chief of Police on personnel issues; supervises the personnel and performance evaluation systems; manages the career development and counseling program; coordinates internal transfers and promotion processes; maintains personnel records of all employees; maintains attendance records, manages the payroll; maintains a master file of Special Directives; prepares and implements personnel policies and procedures based on Administrative Regulations, Police Directives, and accreditation standards.
This office holds a staff of 5 permanent full-time team members who work to implement an effective department plan that emphasizes communication and customer service. The office performs or coordinates the agency’s safety/workman’s compensation programs/policies, all recruiting efforts for civilian positions, and all internal promotional processes. The office is responsible for all payroll functions for the department to include overtime, leave, performance evaluations, new employees, and separations.
What You Should Bring
The ideal candidate will be someone with exceptional senior level Human Resources experience within a law enforcement environment who understands the unique circumstances that are encountered. A demonstrated experience in advancing equity, diversity, inclusion, and multiculturalism within a complex organization. The ideal candidate should drive labor relations policy, processes, and practices to ensure effective execution and compliance. The incumbent is expected to exercise considerable discretion in carrying out responsibilities independently and with awareness of police command structure and culture and human resource issues and sensitivities. The incumbent should have thorough knowledge of human resources administration, experience developing, supervising, motivating, and recognizing personnel, communicating effectively as well as stress, conflict, and crisis management. The ability to handle multiple projects, professional written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills. Willingness to work a flexible schedule. Experience in workforce planning, labor relations and policy formulation experience.
The Opportunity – Examples of Work
• Directs, manages, and supervises the Division’s employees and ensures that program objectives and outcomes are achieved.
• Assesses the department’s administrative needs and problems and reallocates or secures resources to meet those needs.
• Leads departmental initiatives to strengthen infrastructure to achieve optimal performance; Assesses employee engagement and directs the strategies/action planning process to positively impact employee engagement.
• Facilitates development of employee work groups and committees to address specific issues, skills gaps, and opportunities for development. Establishes partnerships with subject matter experts in the areas of organizational development, change management, diversity/intercultural development, strategic planning, performance management and other specialties as needed to create a learning environment and high performing organization. Collects and analyzes data for short and long-range planning and evaluates services to make recommendations for improvement.
• Develop labor relations program-related procedures, and processes. Administers the grievance process and provides interpretation of grievance-related language and mandates. Represents the Department in formal/informal hearings regarding labor relations issues and preliminary discussions with employee organizations.
• Represents the department effectively on equity issues in a variety of forums within the City and the region. Exercises sound, expert independent judgment, and political acumen within general policy guidelines. Exercises tact and diplomacy in dealing with highly sensitive, complex, and confidential issues and situations;
Conducts and attends meetings as a Departmental representative.
• Provides guidance and assistance to Department top management regarding State/City personnel regulations and procedures, and in resolving personnel problems.
• Formulates and recommends policy on matters having Department implications, implements changes policies and procedures, presents new or revised written directives, and monitors changes in State and Federal law affecting Departmental operations.
• Monitors Department's operational effectiveness, selects program areas for inspection and analysis, conducts management studies, audits to assess operational conditions;
Directs planning and research of data processes and data analysis to establish/revise management methods and procedures to improve workflow, simplify reporting procedures, reduce costs and meet professional accrediting standards and legal requirements.
• Performs other related work as assigned.
About the Department
The City of Alexandria Police Department is a nationally recognized and accredited law enforcement agency providing services to a diverse community. A group of talented professionals, the Alexandria Police Department is a dedicated team of people who, in partnership with the community, work to create and maintain a safe and secure environment for our residents, merchants, and visitors. We are a diverse organization, reflecting Alexandria’s various cultures and offering many different career and promotional opportunities.
Minimum & Additional Requirements:
A Bachelor's degree in Management, Business Administration, Finance, or related field. Six (6) years of experience in human resources, labor relations, employee training, organizational development, budgeting, policy development, etc. Two (2) years of experience in a lead or supervisory capacity. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Master's Degree in Human Resources Management, Organizational Development, Psychology, Public of Business Administration, or related field. PHR, SPHR or other certification in public human resources profession. Proven track record of proactive, results oriented leadership in recruiting at the senior management level, including formulating strategic recruiting objectives, plans and programs, developing creative recruitment solutions tailored to the specific requirements of the organization and expertise/ implementation/design of Applicant Tracking/Employment/HRIS systems; and five years supervisory experience, with proven ability to effectively lead a team of recruiting professionals, and provide training and staff development in a diverse and complex organization. Experience collaborating with senior and executive level managers, capable of establishing key relationships to develop rapport and ability to establish a high degree of trust among all levels of the organization.
This position requires the successful completion of the following pre-employment background checks:
• Drug Screen
• Criminal Background Checks (local and federal)
3600 Wheeler Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22304