Alexandria Police Accreditation Manager II
The Alexandria Police Department is seeking a highly qualified person to serve as Police Accreditation Manager II. This position manages the department’s national accreditation process to include ensuring compliance, training and various presentations to department personnel; coordinates the accreditation processes for the Police Department; and conducts regular reviews with command staff and revises department policy, and procedures manuals to ensure standard operating procedures are best practices and meet all current Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) standards, legislative mandates and judicial rulings.
Identifies and verifies compliance with established law enforcement standards, correcting any noted deficiencies through policy, training, or other administrative measures; reviews standards and ensures the department remains in compliance; stays abreast of all aspects of the accreditation process to include proposed changes or amendments to the standards, and assesses the impact of changes on current policies and procedures.
Manages all facets of the accreditation process, agency policy and administrative orders pertaining to the Police Department to ensure that all activities, documentation, and proof necessary for accreditation are prepared in compliance with accreditation standards. Updates and revises Policies and Procedures, including computerized policy and procedures, training documentation and other pertinent CALEA proofs; recommends and/or develops training programs to assist employees in their understanding of accreditation. Manages Power DMS and other computerized software to assist in the CALEA documentation process.
What You Should Bring
The ideal candidate will be someone with exceptional management skills, ability to implement and direct processes to ensure and facilitate Alexandria Police Departments professional accreditation and re-accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA). The candidate will also possess the ability to handle multiple projects, produce professional reports, and verbal presentations to address recommendations or concerns when necessary. The Accreditation Manager II will be tasked with managing the accreditation process for the agency, as well as similar continuous improvement processes, including department inspections and policy review, policy revision, and implementation of directives. The ideal candidate will have a high level of interpersonal skills dealing with department staff, assessors, and regional partners.
• Oversees the accreditation process, including assessments; evaluates and reports the efficiency and effectiveness of the accreditation program.
• Plans and monitors the on-site assessments and maintains appropriate records relating to accreditation activities. Takes the lead role while getting the agency prepared for mock and on-site assessments.
• Performs a variety of complex administrative and professional assistance work in planning, coordinating, and managing the implementation, maintenance and adherence to the police department and emergency communication center’s accreditation.
• Conducts employee orientation training regarding the accreditation process.
• Writes and/or reviews all new and revised policies to ensure compliance with standards.
• Coordinates with Command Staff and City Legal staff for proofing of policies for adherence with all applicable laws.
• Acts as a liaison between police administration, other department employees and outside agencies in all accreditation efforts.
• Maintains a standard format for policies to be reviewed and revised on a scheduled basis.
• Regularly reports to the Chief of Police or designee and key staff on accreditation compliance.
• Directs on-site inspections of compliance.
• Conducts research and planning and assists with presentations as needed.
• Represents the police department at meetings related to the accreditation process as determined by the Chief of Police or designee.
• Using excellent customer service skills, establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other employees, officials, and all members of the general public.
• Assists with accreditation related activities not otherwise specifically assigned (e.g., development and maintenance of job task analysis, succession planning, various programs, etc.).
• Evaluates, updates, schedules, revises, and develops training programs; documents attendance, and maintains training files for employees.
• Produces any reports or projects otherwise necessitated by CALEA standards, or as directed by the Chief of Police.
• Regularly attends supervisory staff meetings and command staff meetings.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
About the Department
The City of Alexandria Police Department is a nationally recognized and accredited law enforcement agency providing services to a diverse community. A group of talented professionals, the Alexandria Police Department is a dedicated team of people who, in partnership with the community, work to create and maintain a safe and secure environment for our residents, merchants, and visitors. We are a diverse organization, reflecting Alexandria’s various cultures and offering many different career and promotional opportunities.
Minimum & Additional Requirements:
Four-Year College Degree and three years of progressively responsible administrative and/or management work experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university and considerable experience in a Public Safety environment or any equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the competencies, skills and abilities listed above and the following:
• Knowledge of law enforcement principles and practices and knowledge of management practices within a modern public safety agency.
• Considerable knowledge of rules, regulations, and procedures of a public safety agency and applicable federal, state, and local laws.
• Experience researching, drafting, writing, and implementing policy and procedure.
• Ability to effectively carry out special and general assignments in a timely manner, requiring organization of material and development of procedures without direct supervision.
• Experience with Microsoft Office and Database applications.
Knowledge and experience using PowerDMS software. Previous experience as an Accreditation Manager or assessor in an accredited police agency. Work experience in excess of 3 years with a local, state, or federal government entity; or law enforcement experience in excess of 3 years (sworn or civilian) may also be substituted for education. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Excellent knowledge of computers; able to use and create documents using Word, Excel, and Power Point; ability to learn and use other software as directed. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing. Ability to analyze and solve problems quickly.
This position requires the successful completion of the following pre-employment background checks:
• Psychological Evaluation
• Drug Screen
• Criminal Background Checks (local and federal)
3600 Wheeler Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22304