The primary purpose of this position is to manage the CALEA accreditation function for the Apex Police Department, as well as similar continuous improvement processes (i.e. NCLM Risk Management Assessment, internal department inspections, etc.).
The Accreditation Manager will be tasked with managing the accreditation process for the agency, as well as similar continuous improvement processes, including department inspections and policy review, revision and implementation. The tasks associated with the position will include but are not limited to collecting proofs of compliance, documenting adherence to established standards, assisting with staff inspections, advising on standards updates, and all other duties as assigned by the Deputy Chief of Police, and/or the Chief of Police. This position will allow the department to be better organized and more efficient in providing specialized services as the needs of the department continue to evolve while providing flexibility for the Deputy Chief of Police and the Chief of Police in managing the overall mission and functions of the agency. The Accreditation Manager will report directly to the Professional Standards Unit Sergeant.
Normal hiring range is $52,372-$57,746. A starting salary above this range will be considered for exceptionally qualified candidates.
• Manage the departmental accreditation process as mandated by the
Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies
• Prepare annual reports, attend necessary training, oversee annual
CSM reviews, coordinate and oversee mock and full onsite
assessments, and attend the full Commission review hearings.
• Represent the department at accreditation meetings and training
• Maintain accreditation compliance documentation to include
collecting and uploading proofs of compliance.
• Provide training to department personnel on the accreditation
• Assist with the review and revision of department forms and written
directives to determine their compliance with CALEA standards.
• Review, suggest revisions, develop and implement agency written
• Schedule, conduct and document agency inspections, reviews and
Additional Job Duties
• Serve on department committees as necessary and on occasion,
work with other town departments.
• Perform related tasks as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Considerable knowledge of accreditation and public record laws.
• Considerable knowledge and ability to use correct grammar,
vocabulary, and spelling.
• Considerable knowledge of office equipment and software
including word processing, data base management, presentation
software, and spreadsheets.
• Comprehensive knowledge of police organization and
• Ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing, and by
• Ability to multi-task
• Ability to maintain and organize files.
• Ability to plan and organize a variety of administrative activities.
• Ability to operate any office machines required by the position such
as computer, scanner, calculator, fax, copier, or other equipment.
• Ability to conduct analytical evaluations and studies and to prepare
related reports and recommendations.
• Ability to accurately document compliance activities to demonstrate
compliance with applicable standards.
• Ability to travel to training seminars, conferences, etc.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with
the general public, other agencies and associations, supervisors,
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
Graduation from high school and considerable work experience in an administrative function; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Valid North Carolina Driver's license or ability to obtain within 60 days of employment.
Four year college degree in business administration or criminal justice and considerable experience with the CALEA accreditation process.
Must be able to pass a strenuous background investigation that includes credit checks, interviews with family, neighbors and peers, deception testing and drug testing.
Note: Onsite interviews are tentatively scheduled October 20, 21 & 22.
Equal Opportunity Employer
73 Hunter St
Apex, NC 27505
Apply online at http://www.apexnc.org