The New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) is the City agency responsible for oversight of the for-hire vehicle industries in New York City, which Include yellow medallion taxis, green Boro taxis, community car services and livery cars, black cars services, luxury limousines, commuter vans and Para-transit services. Combined, TLC regulates Industries that are responsible for over 800,000 daily trips. Our role is to ensure that each passenger's riding experience is safe comfortable and convenient and that TLC drivers are driving safely.
Under direction of the Chief of Patrol and the Executive leadership of the TLC Uniformed Services Bureau, the Assistant Chief will:
• Represent and/or assume the duties of the Chief of Patrol in their absence
• Supervise Deputy Chiefs and oversee enforcement squads that conduct patrol and other enforcement operations citywide to ensure proper utilization of personnel.
• Provide for strategic and tactical efficiency through the equitable distribution of operational resources
• Planning and execution of crime control strategies and development of initiatives for enforcement management and safety
• Direct, oversee and verify all crash investigations involving licensed for-hire vehicles
• Investigate and respond to complaints from the public, elected officials and as assigned
• Candidate must be committed to training and mentoring all rank levels
• Possess the ability to successfully partner with other law enforcement agencies and industry stakeholders when developing enforcement strategies
• Ensure a unified approach to addressing illegal for-hire activity, utilizing enforcement statistics to determine performance measures
• Utilize enforcement statistics and for-hire trip data to identify trends that will inform staff deployment and enforcement strategies
• Ability to present at internal and external meetings/briefing on Enforcement Division performance
• Oversee deployment strategies and squad assignments insuring the Enforcement Division capability to carry out its mission and responsibilities in an exemplary manner
• The Assistant Chief is expected to be a strategic thinker, anticipating issues or trends and must be open to new approaches and technologies while also thinking from an evidence based policing mindset understanding the needs of the for-hire industry, the City of New York and the public safety community
• The Assistant Chief is expected to have the mentorship skills and a clear understanding or resource allocation while avoiding micromanagement
• Experience managing groups of teams/squads within the context of a complex law enforcement organization with the ability to manage Administrative resources (staffing, equipment, officer wellness, etc.) to develop innovative enforcement initiatives and enhance staff morale
• Other management projects and responsibilities as determined by Uniformed Services Bureau Leadership.
1. A four year high school diploma or its equivalent, and six years of full-time experience in criminal justice or law enforcement; at least eighteen months which must have been in an administrative, managerial, executive capacity or supervising enforcement personnel. Education received at an accredited college may be substituted for the work experience cited above at the rate of one year of college for six months of experience, up to a maximum of four years of college for two years of experience. In addition, a master's degree from an accredited university may be substituted for up to one additional year of the general experience on the same basis as described above; or
2. A satisfactory equivalent of education and experience as cited above. However, all candidates must have the eighteen months of administrative, managerial, executive experience or supervising enforcement personnel as described in "1" above.
• Prior experience with the NYPD, New York State Police and/or managing Peace Officer Operations.
• Military Service managing security operations.
• The ability to manage up and develop uniform first-line and middle-management personnel.
• 3 to 5 years supervisory experience
24-55 B.Q.E West, Woodside, NY
Queens, NY 11377
Please visit https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/ and Search Taxi & Limousine job id #372998